Table of Contents
Introduction of Voyageurs National Park
Voyageurs National Park is spread over 218200 acres of land in northern Minnesota near the town of International Falls.
Established in April 1975, the national park is made up of four fantastic main lakes- Rainy, Kabetogama, Namakan, and Sand Point.
Around 1/3rd of its national’s park area has crystal clear water and major allurements consist of Rainy Lake, Ellsworth Rock Gardens, Kabetogama Peninsula, Ash River Visitor Center, Locator Lake Trail, Crane Lake, Echo Bay Trail, and Namakan Island.
In this water-based park, you can stay at either a boat-up-only campsite or in a houseboat-designated site on the water
There are around 52 miles of hiking trails and 110 miles of snowmobile trails for your adventure. For your fun, you can enjoy bird watching, paddling, fishing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, biking, and in winter season you can enjoy ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing.
Best time to visit
The park can be visited year-round, so if you want warm weather then enjoy it in the summer season, however the fall, and winter will be more fascinating than the summer season. You will get to see the brightest leaves from the end of September to October. And winter is the best season to enjoy skiing and snowshoeing.
Things to carry
Following are the things to carry while visiting Voyageurs National Park.
ladies can wear sundresses, shorts and tank tops. Men can wear casual t-shirts and shorts and do carry the swimsuit. carry Jacket for winter. Also, carry raincoat for the rainy season.
Wearing hiking shoes will protect your feet from difficult surfaces.
Take healthy food along with you like dry fruits, veggies, energy bars, nuts etc.
First aid kit
Your first aid kit should consist of pain relievers, band-aids, and antiseptic wipes.
Along with the above items, do compulsorily carry an insect repellent. And you can also bring binoculars, camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat.
Please don’t litter in the park
Tips before Visiting
- As most of the park consists of water, you should explore it on a boat rather than a car to enjoy the park fully.
- For fishing, you will be required a license that you can get from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources if you are planning to do fishing in Minnesota. If you are planning to do fishing on the Canadian side, then you will need an Ontario fishing license.
- Fishing is prohibited in the Beast Lake.
- All the campsites inside the park are reachable by a boat only. Prior reservation is a must to not lose the spot.
- Do apply insect repellent so that the ticks will stay away from you.
- You can bring firewood in the park only it is bought from an MN DNR approved vendor.
No. Of Visitors in 2018